Many highway bridges become functionally obsolete due to inadequate width before they become structurally deficient. Because widening is almost always more economical than complete replacement, there is a need to make available the results of research and field experience pertaining to the widening of bridges.
Maybe you have not seen
- Postcards 1 Workbook 2nd Edition
- ACI 544.1R-96-State of the Art Report on Fiber Reinforced Concrete
- ACI 533.1R-02-Design Responsibility for Architectural Precast-Concrete Projects
- ACI 530.1R-05-Specification for Masonry Structures
- ACI 523.2R-96-Guide for Precast Cellular Concrete Floor, Roof, and Wall Units
This guide discusses many problems that are unique to the widening of existing concrete bridges and bridges with concrete decks. The primary focus of this document is on bridge deck. However, substructure issues are also raised and discussed. The effects of differential movements due to traffic on the existing and new portions, including movements due to traffic on the existing structure during construction, are discussed. General recommendations are made pertaining to the choice of structure type, design details and construction methods and materials.